Tuesday, January 9, 2007

Raison D'Etre

Check out this little guy...

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

...On another note, I haven't written in a while, mainly because so much has happened in my world that I am not sure I'm prepared to share quite yet. I've started doing something big and new that I'm proud and scared of. And of course, for a type A personality, I'm uncomfortable with not being an expert right away. But I'm getting used to it. I don't know what to say, just yet, about all of this, but mostly I just think it's important to start somewhere. Please don't mistake me for mysterious or cryptic. I'll get there.

Some of you may know what I'm talking about, others may have an idea. If you are in the dark, that's ok too. I don't purport to think I'm so important that it keeps you up at night. I am ok with answering your tough questions. I'll do it gladly, but I can't promise an elegant answer (only an honest one).

I do, however, hope that life continues to humble you, as it does me. I feel, as usual, incredibly thankful, especially with the dawn of the new year and this new change, for my friends. In the past week, I've experienced some incredibly heartening interactions that I feel are noteworthy (Natalie, Aliyah, Alissa and Anna - this means you). I've also experienced some haunting aftershocks that remind me that for far too long I've been settled comfortably and complacently in a very congruous seat. I also hope this year will be filled with as much laughter and heartache as the last. These things are what show us we're alive, after all. I wish us each self-awareness, hope and health. Let us all believe in who we are, and not allow others' perceptions of us, or, more importantly, the way those who allegedly care about us behave, to dictate how we feel in our own skin. I can only hope that none of us are enemies; I renew my resolve to strive for friendship in the face of difference (post-haste, henceforth and active immediately...).

I hope we can all face 2007 with forward looking optimism. I hope we will continue to strive to deserve what we pray for --gratitude, kindness, forgiveness, health, love and prosperity. I hope we each take the type of risks that eventually change the world. When we fail, I hope we fall softly enough to bravely get up and try again. I hope we each find the courage to leave or the strength to stay (no matter what the situation), in addition to the perspective necessary to discern the 'next right thing.' I hope we say what we mean, and seek the honesty it takes to look each other in the eye. I hope we take the time to hear one another, looking always for the common middle ground. I hope we continue to gain the perspective to give each other second (and seventieth) chances, and to accept each other as pluralistic, complicated and flawed human beings.

Mostly though, I hope we each find the softness of affectionate glances when we need them most. I hope we all are able to see, that in a world full of selfishness, meanness and mistrust, we all deserve better (isA).

No comments: