Saturday, May 12, 2007

A Rose by Any Other Name Would (Not) Smell As Sweet...

Guest authored by: Kate's friend Alissa. And by "Kate", I'm referring to the being who has been endeared to us all through her actions, words, and loveliness, and for whom the label of one name versus another would not change a thing...or would it? (duh duhhh DAHHHHH [suspenseful 'what is going to happen??!?!?!??! music])

Oh, and by "Alissa"...I just mean me.

Anyway, where was I? (Constantly wondering this, these days) ...Ah yes! Talking about Kate. As you all know by now, apropos to Kate's previous blog entry, our darling has embarked on quite an interesting journey. Part of what some people are wondering about her first stops aboard the Muslim train, is whether or not she'll change her name (for those not familiar with why this would come up, google "Cat Stephens", or "Float Like a Butterfly, Sting Like a Bee" ( except maybe use the boolean search aids and put the second suggestion all in quotes unless you want a hundred hits about pollination coming up before you finally find "Muhammad Ali/Cassius Clay"). On my gosh I am having a hard time staying on track, sorry!

Aaaaanyway, so in pondering the thought of Katherine Ashley Downing changing her name, I'd like to dedicate this, my inaugural (probably should just say "only" because you can already tell how it's going...) guest blog entry, to listing suggested alternatives for Kate's new name, in honor of her new commitment in life. And in honor, obviously, of our inability to take ourselves too seriously.

But first: two thoughts before I launch into my litany...1) as per the title I chose for this entry, Shakespeare had some thoughts on this very topic. His perspective was that a rose, and it's beauty, significance, and symbolism, were innate in its being, and owing nothing to it being called a rose. That the name was just a way to convey all of the things that would take sentences, paragraphs, or I guess, mimetic hand gestures, if that's your thing, to convey. And Shakespeare was a wordy guy, so he'd know. But the point being simply that a rose would still be everything that it is, chiefly a sweet smelling object, regardless of what one were to call it. That is one side of the argument. I'm not totally inclined to agree, because I think we become the embodiment of the names we are given, such that those who love us most connote all of those things about us with our names, and our names imply all of those things (i.e. it's why when you suggest a name for your friend's baby and a person of that same name made out with that friend's boyfriend in seventh grade, she goes "no WAY am I going to have a bratty, two-faced baby"). Etc. etc...it's quite a philosophical conversation, though, of nearly the same magnitude as that favorite about a tree falling in deserted woods, so I'll leave it to you to ponder.

And pre-list consideration #2 (representing the other half of the argument): I'm just going say: Prince, in the nineties. 'Nuff said. (Ok, for those whom it's not quite enough said, I'll just add "Artist formerly known as Prince", "TAFKAP", and lastly, that crazy symbol that looks androgynous and possibly like a good lower-back tattoo for a person not knowing better.) Di'int sell a lotta records, yo.



And without further ado, here's the list:

1. Kat Stephens (I just love this option. Only requires a last name change and very minor reworking of the first name. And she's jazzy, so ya know.)

2. Mowgli Baloo (I just love Jungle Book. Kate has informed me this isn't really Islamic)

3. Queen Noor (Already working really well for one person.)

4. Ten Downing (Alright, so technically that's a number, and it would be naming her after the British Prime Minster's residence, but it's catchy.)

5. Snuggles (I used to want to name a puppy that.)

6. Muhammad Yusuf Ali Islam (This is a hybrid. You do the math.)

7. Sunni Shia (...Kate's a uniter. Not a divider.)

8. Kate X (although she isn't a Faracon-style convert...)

9. Kareem Abdul Jabbar (dude gets serious air.)

10. Yasmeen Bleeth Downing (yasmeen is perfect, and well, similar traits.)

Ok that's enough. Ten is a good number for list-making. And again, a good first name for Kate (see item 4).

It's been a pleasure. With that, I'll sign off and hand this blog back to [to be determined] Downing.

No comments: